We are fortunate to have access to help when times are tough. Please use this resource for yourself and your family, and feel free to share with others whom you think might appreciate it.
Area Food Assistance – hover over a square to see the web site for that organization.
Area Support Groups
• Hand-in-Hand Resource Mothers Teen Pregnancy Support Group – Harrisonburg | Sentara RMH Atrium | 2000 Beery Rd.
Our Harrisonburg support group meets the fourth Monday of every month from 6-7:30 p.m. For more information, call 540-433-4340.
• Branching Out on a New Limb | Thomas House Restaurant | 222 Main St.. Dayton
This support group is for those who have had an amputation. Families are welcome. This group meets quarterly. To find out upcoming dates, call 540-689-4296.
• Diabetes Support Group for Adults | three locations
~second Monday of each month from 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m at the Sentara RMH Hahn Building. Park in Lot B and enter through the Medical Offices entrance located on the side of the building.
~second Friday of each month from 11:30 to 12:30 (light lunch provided) at South Main Health Center in Endocrinology waiting room.
~third Thursday of each month from 10am to 11am at East Rockingham Health Center in group room. Topics vary by location and date. It is FREE and no registration is required. For more information, please call 540-564-7200 or toll-free 855-564-7200.
• Grandparenting Education and Support Group (GrandPEAS) | Lacey Springs Elementary School | 8621 N. Valley Pike
Grandparents and other relatives in the role of primary parent face many legal, financial, ethical, and emotional difficulties. Childcare and pizza will be provided. This ongoing group meets from 6-7:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month during the school year. Call to register: 540-564-7388.
• Greater Shenandoah Valley Brain Injury Support Group | VMRC’s Village Hall
This group is for survivors of brain injury, their families and caregivers.
Meets bi-monthly on the the third Wednesday of each month (Starting August 16, 2017) 6:30-8 p.m. No December meeting. Call to register: 540-421-5610.
• Hospice Peer Support Group | Sentara RMH Atrium | 2000 Beery Road, Harrisonburg
These support groups are for hospice participants who have experienced the death of a loved one and would like to share and work on their grief with others. Groups are free and meet at the Sentara RMH Atrium. For meeting dates and times and to register, please call.540-433-4430.
• La Leche League of Harrisonburg | Blessed Sacrament Church | 154 N Main St.
This is a breastfeeding education support group that meets the first Wednesday of each month at 10 a.m.
• Leukemia and Lymphoma Support Group | Sentara RMH Hahn Building | 2006 Health Campus Drive
This support group is for persons with blood-related cancers and their families. They meet the first Thursday of each month from 4-5 p.m.
• New Moms Ask a Nurse | Sentara RMH Atrium | 2000 Beery Road, Harrisonburg
The support group New Moms Ask a Nurse is designed for new moms with a baby 12 months old or younger. Surrounded by other new moms, you’ll meet with a Family Birthplace nurse and learn answers to some of the most common questions about caring for and dealing with a new baby. Class topics include Survival; Dunston Baby Language; Happiest Baby on the Block; Calming Fussy Babies; Breastfeeding.
When: Wednesdays. You can begin any time.
Time: 1:30-3:00 p.m.
• Parkinsons Support Group | Lower Level Conference Room 2 | Sentara RMH Medical Center | 2010 Health Campus Drive
Everyone is welcome to this Parkinson’s Support Group. It meets the third Saturday of each month at 1 p.m. Call to register: 540-810-5210.
• Smoking Support Group | First Presbyterian Church | 17 Court Square
Support group for former tobacco users and current tobacco users who want to quit. This group meets every Tuesday from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Please use the west end door that faces Liberty Street. Meeting area is located up the stairs on the second floor.
• UPPS And DOWNS Postpartum Stress and Depression Support Group | Sentara RMH Funkhouser Women’s Center | 2275 Health Campus Drive
This free support group is open to all pregnant or postpartum women who are experiencing prenatal or postpartum mood and anxiety issues. The group is offered on the fourth Thursday each month from 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. Newborns up to 12 months of age are welcome.
• GriefShare | First Presbyterian Church | 17 Court Square
GriefShare is a weekly seminar and support group for people grieving the death of a loved one. It’s a place where you can be around others who understand how you feel and the pain of your loss. At GriefShare, you learn valuable information that will help you through this difficult time in your life.
Wednesday mornings (10-11:30 a.m.); Wednesday nights (7-8:30 p.m.) You may attend either meeting.
• Lanterns of Hope | Grace Mennonite Fellowship | 209 Lacey Spring Rd.
Lanterns of Hope, a support group for those who have lost a loved one to suicide, meets at 7pm on the first Monday of every month. The group warmly welcomes newcomers to participate in sharing and support. For more information, call Suzy at 540-833-4185.
• Harrisonburg Area Alcoholics Anonymous